Happy spring!

I knew it had been a while since I updated my blog, but logging in, I was surprised to see how long.

Spring is here, things are starting to grow, and a new season has begun. Fall has always been my favourite season, but spring is a close second. Buds appearing on trees, grass and flowers sprouting, and things starting to buzz. 

April is a busy month for us. Both kids have birthdays this month, I've got a fundraiser for 10,000 Carrots Bunny Rescue on April 14 (if you'd like more information, check out my Facebook page).  

Back to this card. I am so in love with how it turned out. I love having a creative business, and feeding off the creativity of others. I saw a similar technique from a Stampin' Up! demonstrator in the UK, and was intrigued by what he had created. For his card, he used reinkers, and clear embossing powder to get an oxidized metal look. I tried so many variations of colour and layering and couldn't get the look he achieved, so I looked around my craft space for inspiration. When I saw the box of Brushos, I knew how to solve my problem and get exactly what I wanted. 

Brushos are powders that react with water to create interesting backgrounds, and can also be mixed with water and used in watercolour applications. They are a little messy, but I adore them. That statement will make my friends shake their heads, because I generally don't like crafting mess, and glitter is strictly banned from any craft project I do (with the exception of Wink of Stella).
 

OK. Back to the card. 

To create the background, I used the Brilliant Red, Moss Green, and Yellow. Before I put the powders on the paper, I sprayed the silver metallic paper with water, then added the colour. The brilliant part is that you can keep adding colour until you are content. I then took a damp sponge and dabbed over the colour, creating the mottled look. Once you're content with the coverage, cover the paper with clear embossing powder and heat to melt. No two projects will ever be the same, because the look is totally dependent on how much water you use, how much colour and how much you mix with the damp sponge. 

To finish off the card, I cut a mat 1/4 inch bigger than the metallic paper, using Early Espresso, and layered it on Tranquil Tide, but at 4.25x5.5 Before I did that, though, I die cut the dragonfly from the Detailed Dragonfly thinlits from Tranquil Tide, then layered the Early Espresso to cover the die cut area. Before I adhered the dragonfly, I brushed it with clear Wink of Stella for a little more shimmer and shine. 

For more peeks at the metallic cards I made, check out my Facebook page!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Designer Series Paper 12 x 12 gift holder

12 Crafts of Christmas- Day 8 faux woodburing

12 Crafts of Christmas- day 6 recipe book